Saturday, April 27, 2013

Day 9

Welcome to Day 9! The last of the single digit days, which means I can finally start typing with more than one finger. No wonder it takes me so long to get these up.

What defines you?

Well that's an unusually broad question. I feel like all the others have been 'name 3 occasions in which you were sitting around the table and your dad looked at you questioningly, but really it was just a misunderstanding'.

I'm not really sure how to start answering this question. I guess I'm defined by what I do, who I view myself as, and how other people view me? Or maybe it's asking for a signature move?

In that case it's probably something like me shaking ma booty while making beat boxing noises.

If that's not the case, I guess what defines me is my desire to...maybe it's my ability to...

I have no idea.

I feel malleable enough to do whatever needs to be done? Usually?

What defines me is my ability to avoid being defined! That sounds suitably like something a moody 15 year old says. Apparently, my lack of maturity defines me?

Gas. Gas defines me. Or defies me, and gets heard in spite of my best efforts?

Jes can totally vouch for that one.

Honestly, I think my only really defining characteristic is that I like to make other people happy. I like telling stories, sharing things I think they'll like, I like entertaining them, or puzzling them; I just love interacting with others.

Which is interesting, because I wouldn't really consider myself extroverted. At least, not under the definition that I heard someone use once, which I can't find again. An extrovert is someone who recharges their batteries, who finds their drive to keep living from their interaction with others.

Example: It's been a rough day at work in the office/salt mines/vacuum of space, and you get home feeling a little drained. An extrovert in this situation might invite a friend over to talk, have a movie night with a few others, or throw a party. An introvert would not do those things. And I would not do those things.

Social interactions with others tend to be very enjoyable for me, don't get me wrong, and I receive a great deal of satisfaction or contentment or whatever being around others (I'm talking about non-family members, which is pretty unusual for my family, I think). But it's not what I do to relieve stress.

I'm not sure how I got onto that, but there you go.

I totally didn't answer the question, so maybe it's my mystique that defines me.

No comments:

Post a Comment