Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 7

If you're just checking in today (April 20th) I wrote Day 6 a little while ago, and will be writing Day 8 today as well, so you may have missed my last post. I broke them up so you wouldn't have to digest 3 days worth of writing in one mega post.

What is your dream job and why?

Honestly, like just about everything else in my life, I'm kinda torn. My dream job would definitely be one of two things:

1) Author

This is something that I feel like I'm pretty decent at. Writing that is. Authoring may not be the same thing, since I've never actually tried to write a full book, so I might not be any good at it. I'd like to suppose that I am, in the same way that I suppose that I'd be a terrific astronaut if I ever had to be. I'd rock. I'd probably puke like crazy at first, and then I'd be awesome at it anyways. Maybe that's why I don't write a book. I'm afraid of all the vomit I'd vomit.

I'd really like to be an author because of my imagination, really. It's kinda why I took a painting class this semester, to be honest. Every so often, I have an idea that just really wants to be expressed. It has it's own desires to be told, and I feel like I'm the portal to its existence. I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't want to be recognized for what I put out, get some recognition for how awesome whatever I've created is, but a larger facet is that I want to be able to see the finished product. I want to take this idea, this embryonic universe that exists only in my head and turn it into a world other people can get lost in. I want to ignite the imagination of others the way R.A. Salvatore, George Lucas, and more recently Patrick Rothfuss and David Weber sparked mine.

I want something that is wholly mine.

I also wouldn't mind making money doing all that.

2) Voice Actor

This one's a little more far fetched, because I feel like it's even more of a niche market than writing. It's far more of a pipe-dream than one I think I'd actually be able to accomplish. But I love talking, making voices, and narrating in general. I took some classes a while back from a private instructor, and I loved it, but it was a little expensive to keep up and actually get really good at. It's definitely filed away in my "someday" category.

Which brings me to the practical aspect of my life, and the way my parents raised me. I was never told I could be an astronaut, because let's be honest, as awesome as I would be, I could never do it. Mom and Dad knew that, and they wanted us to be realistic. It may have been a little bit of a dreamkiller of them, but I grew up knowing that if I wanted to more or less have a comfortable life, I'd have to work hard and plan on it.

Dad was always full of tidbits like "There are thousands of talented artists that are starving, but not very many starving doctors."

Which is why I'm trying to get into medicine, so that I can establish myself and be comfortable, and then pursue my dreams as hobbies. And hey, if my writing or whatever takes off afterwards, I can always be like Chang from Community.

I'm sure that's every parent's dream, to have their children emulate Chang.

Words: 605

1 comment:

  1. Stop stealing my dreams!

    I would love to do a book on tape, as long as there aren't TONS of guy parts. I only have one guy voice, and it isn't very good.

    The writer thing is kind of mine and McKay's dream, too. One of us will eventually finish our book, it will be a smash success, and he'll be able to quit Chemistry work and we'll both write full time. Mom and Dad's voices of realism make me want to roll me eyes at myself even as I say that, but hey, we can dream.

    Also, you should get rid of the code thingy your blog makes commenters do. I can never read it, and I can pretty much guarantee spam isn't as big of a thing as you'd think (unless you're The Bloggess or something)

    ReplyDelete